Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Time to get on my soap box

Okay, so I know lots of people have been doing the early voting thing, but I don't understand why. There is still a wait time, so that can't be it. So why? Is November 4th not a convenient date? I can understand if you are expecting a baby or you have sick family members to deal with or things like that, but if not why? Are you willing to wait in line to get concert tickets? Are you willing to wait in line to ride the rides at Six Flags? Are you willing to get up at o'dark 30 on the day after Thanksgiving and fight the crowds to hit that special sale? Then why, why are you not willing to wait in line to vote on the day of elections? Don't get me wrong, I am so grateful to the people who have voted since they did cast their vote, but why did you feel you had to do it early? I know most people have kids and they don't want to wait in line with them, but it is a teaching tool in my opinion. It teaches them the democratic process. It teaches them patience. It shows them that their parents take being an American citizen seriously. Heck it can teach them bladder control (for the older ones of course). My three will be with me when I go on November 4. It will be cold I know, but they will be wearing jackets and gloves. They will be bored and possibly get hungry, but I will bring snacks and activities. Heck I will be taking them to Starbucks afterwards to get a hot chocolate. I'm not telling anyone off for voting early, I am just asking why? Okay, I'll get off of my soap box now, and I want to say thank you to everyone for voting even if I don't agree with you for doing it early.

2 comments:

Pam D said...

it's Ok, girl... I felt funny voting early, but I had/have a feeling that THIS year will be a little different than years past, for a number of reasons. One big factor for me is that Adam IS in school (NCCS always does things a little different), so for him to go with me would mean either pulling him out for a day or not getting into line til 3:00 p.m. And unless the early voting thing really, really bleeds off a lot of folks, that could mean not getting to cast my vote. It's possible that the polls will close and there will still be a LONG line of folks waiting to vote; what do we do then? Honestly, this year is ONE time when I am very, very thankful that early voting and absentee voting without cause are possible, because the chaos that would ensue otherwise would not. be. good. Just my 2 cents, which will no longer even buy a piece of gum! hugs...

The Foster Home said...

You are one of those people with a legit excuse so it doesn't bother me. I guess what bothers me the most are people who voted early and are bragging cause they won't have to wait in a long line, then they go and say I still had to wait 2 or 3 hours.

free hit counter
Provided by website design company directory.